The Baysox have completed hiring for seasonal game-day positions for the 2022 season. For future opportunities, please contact Darlene Mingioli, Director of Game Day Staff (via the button below) with your interest in possible future game-day/event part-time employment opportunities with the Bowie Baysox.
The Bowie Baysox are seeking qualified candidates for the game-day position of Official Scorer for the 2022 season. The successful applicant will work as part of a team of Official Scorers on a rotational basis throughout the season.
The Official Scorer makes and announces all game decisions involving judgment calls based on Rule 9 of the Official Baseball Rules, clarifying scoring rules interpretation to club and media personnel when necessary. Approves the official game report transmitted to MLB’s Official Statistician (Elias Sports Bureau) post-game.
- Arrive at the ballpark no later than 60 minutes prior to the scheduled start time.
- Collect rosters and other applicable information, test press box microphone and be set up before first pitch.
- Keep a detailed scorecard of the game, focusing on every pitch and play.
- Make announcements as expected of the Official Scorer (i.e. time of first pitch, individual pitching lines, Official Review times, fielding credits, winning and losing pitchers, etc.). For plays requiring judgment calls, first inform the MLB Stringer, then announce via mic to press box personnel.
- Coordinate approval of the official post-game report with the MLB Stringer prior to its transmission to the MLB statistician.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
- Exceptional (and demonstrable) knowledge of the Official Baseball Rules, and especially Section 9 of OBR.
- Effectively utilize approved online tools designed to enhance performance and communication with essential game personnel.
- Ability to clearly communicate information via press box mic, and to effectively clarify Official Scoring Rules and scoring decisions, when necessary, to club officials and others.
- Demonstrate good judgment on applicable plays requiring decisions.
- Attention to detail in keeping a scorecard and tracking game totals for each player and team.
- Demeanor to accept constructive criticism and instruction, and patience to deal with critique of performance from various parties (i.e. clubs, players, media).
- Collaborative spirit with colleagues at MLB, other Official Scorers, team officials and others.
- At many games, the Official Scorer may be the most visible representative of MLB and needs to conduct him or herself with appropriate dignity.
- Previous Official Scoring experience in professional or amateur baseball is strongly preferred but not required
New stringers undergo a correspondence training program through Major League Baseball, and co-score games in the ballpark with a veteran official scorer, before scoring any games solo in the ballpark.
You must currently live and work near Bowie Baysox Stadium as this is a game-day position. For more information and to apply, please e-mail Phil Wrye, Baysox Assistant General Manager with the subject: Official Scorer
2022 Food & Beverage Game Day Employment Opportunities
Unique Food and Beverage (UFB) is hiring for multiple part-time, seasonal positions including Grill Cooks, Fry Cooks, Cashiers, Food Preparation & Food Runners. They are hosting a Job Fair at Baysox Stadium on Saturday, March 19 from 10 am - 2 pm. For more information, please check out their website: uniquefoodandbeverage.com or call 301.464.4848.
The Chesapeake Catering Company, the official catering company of the Bowie Baysox, is hiring for Cooks, Servers and Bartenders. Applicants must be age 18 and up to apply. For more information or if you have questions, please e-mail Mark Torsani.
Game Day/Events Video Camera Operator (Part-Time)
*Position Summary: *
As a member of the Baysox Game Day/Events Camera Crew, you will be responsible for capturing live fan shots, game play, fan engagement elements, host stand ups, and more during Bowie Baysox home games.
*Essential Functions: *
Basic knowledge on how to operate a hand held/shoulder professional video camera.
Arrive one hour before game time to set up your camera and receive instructions about that day's game.
Understand the basics of exposure, focusing, and composition.
Ability to walk and stand for long periods of time especially during the summer months where temperatures outdoors can be very warm.
Must be eager for unique camera shots and have excellent communication with Director and production team.
Can carry up to 50 pounds,
Ability to take direction and work in a fast paced environment.
*Qualifications & Requirements: *
Must have a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and holidays
Must have strong knowledge of the game of baseball.
Must be comfortable to work in a fast paced, high pressure environment.
Must be motivated with the desire to gain experience in professional sports
Keep a professional demeanor with the ability to interact with fans, staff members, players, coaches and front office executives.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and/or qualifications to Phil Wrye, Baysox Assistant GM. No phone calls please.
Position: Mascot Performer (Part-Time)
- Perform as “Louie” the Baysox Mascot at Community Appearances around the region including in Prince George’s County, Anne Arundel County, Southern Maryland, Montgomery, Howard and Baltimore areas.
- Community Appearances can include, fairs, schools, businesses, birthday parties, youth sports games, Kids Club events etc.
- Perform on occasion during Baysox home games for 3-4 hours (with breaks).
- Ability to perform in the Louie suit for at least one (1) hour at a time when needed and do multiple appearances in a day if needed.
- Ability to interact with children and adults in a fun, safe and enjoyable manner
- Maintain “Louie” costume in a proper manner, especially following a performance.
- Ability to uphold the standard of the Louie persona and portray the Baysox and Louie in a positive manner.
- Appearances at community events to promote Bowie Baysox Baseball, Louie’s Kids Club and other stadium events.
- Act as an ambassador for Baysox Baseball to help promote the organization.
- MUST live local to Bowie, MD and able to pick up Louie suit when needed for an upcoming appearance.
- Ability to do night and weekend appearances when needed.
- Motivated Individuals with the desire to gain experience in professional sports
- Outgoing & creative personality with a willingness and desire to have fun
- Previous Customer Service Experience.
- Willingness to perform as our mascot Louie at private and community events
- Athletic build and be between roughly 5’9" and 6’1" in height.
- Valid Driver’s License and clean driving record.
To Apply for this position:
Please email your resume or qualifications to Phil Wrye, Baysox Assistant GM. No phone calls please.