In a pair of tightly-contested games against the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (51-75), the Birmingham Barons (62-66) pulled away late to win both times. First, they earned a 6-0 win in the resumption of Wednesday's suspended game before a 4-1 victory in the regularly scheduled game on Thursday night at the
In a pair of tightly-contested games against the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (51-75), the Birmingham Barons (62-66) pulled away late to win both times. First, they earned a 6-0 win in the resumption of Wednesday's suspended game before a 4-1 victory in the regularly scheduled game on Thursday night at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville. The wins give the Barons a series victory after taking four of five against the Jumbo Shrimp.
- Turning Point: After a scoreless game was suspended in the sixth inning on Wednesday, the Barons bats broke through in their first turn at the plate on Thursday. Keon Barnum's RBI single gave the Barons a 1-0 lead in the seventh. Luis Basabe's single a few batters later scored two more runs to push the lead to 3-0 lead. The next inning, the Barons plated three more runs on RBI singles from Mitch Roman and Joel Booker to build a 6-0 lead, plenty of support for a trio of Birmingham pitchers.
- By The Numbers: In one of his best starts with the Barons, Dylan Cease was lights out from his first pitch to his last. Over 5.0 scoreless innings, he struck out 11, including the final five outs he recorded, while giving up just two hits and two walks to keep the game scoreless before the rain came down on Wednesday. Brian Clark (W, earned the win on Thursday with 2.0 scoreless innings, and Brandon Brennan finished the game with 2.0 scoreless innings of his own.
- Moments That Mattered: With the second game tied 1-1 going to the ninth, the Barons got the rally they were looking for to jump in front. Roman and Zack Collins hit one-out singles to put two runners on base. After Alex Call popped up, Trey Michalczewski delivered with a clutch two-out, two-run double off the left field wall to give the Barons the lead. The next hitter, Matt Rose, laced a single to center, scoring Michalczewski to cap a three-run ninth inning for Birmingham.
- Facts And Figures: In another strong pitching performance, three Barons were able to hold the Jumbo Shrimp to five hits in the game two win. Kodi Medeiros got the start gave up one run on four hits over 5.2 innings with two walks and six strikeouts. Zach Thompson (W, 4-0) was brilliant in relief, throwing 2.1 scoreless innings with five strikeouts. He earned the win behind the ninth inning outburst and José Ruiz (S, 14) pitched a clean ninth inning to finish the win and earn the save.
- Up Next: The Barons return to Regions Field to begin a five-game series against the Jackson Generals on Friday night at 7:05 p.m. Tanner Banks (4-4, 6.23) is set to start for the Barons against Jackson's Emilio Vargas (0-3, 6.23). Curt Bloom will have the call on 960 WERC News Radio and the iHeart Radio app.